The error code 0xC004F074 in Windows 10 is related to Key Management Service (KMS Activation service). Microsoft requires that you buy a genuine license key for any OS of theirs. If you are using Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 as a retail copy, you must have bought the activation key. Once you enter it during the setup process, your Windows automatically gets activated.
But if you failed to activate it after upgrading to Windows 10, you might face the following kind of message.
Windows is unable to reach your company’s activation service. Please connect to your corporate network. If you are connected and continue to see the error, contact your system administrator. You can also click on error detail to find the exact error. Error code: 0xC004F074
What are the Benefits of Windows Activation?
But if have not received this error, then you are eligible to get updates and other security features. An additional advantage is that you will get Microsoft technical support answer your queries at *small fee or free sometimes. Also, you can put questions in Microsoft communities to get answers.
You can visit my site, for fixing installation and updating errors in Windows 10.
In July 2015, Microsoft gave the flexibility to upgrade your 7 or 8 or 8.1 to 10 for free for 1 year. Hence you don’t require any new key. But XP and Vista users are supposed to buy new Windows 10 activation keys.
But with 1511 updates, Microsoft has mandated that you first activate 7 or 8 or 8.1 first. Then using the Upgrade Assistant or off-line installer, you can move to Windows 10 easily. Now in 2018, you are required to buy a Windows 10 key, if you want to install it on your PC.
If it’s an OEM version, you are automatically activated once you connect to the Internet.
Then why this error code 0xC004F074?
The answer is simple. You have not activated your Windows 10 with the available features.
The following are some of the reasons why the error code 0xC004F074 occurs.
1. You are using a pirated key downloaded from torrent sites. This is illegal. It might have worked in the initial and must have been blocked by Microsoft now.
2. You are using the old Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 key to activate Windows 10 in 2018. This doesn’t work now.
3. The process of activation might have some problem sometimes. This is a common cause with the users. The activation server (KMS activation software) might now respond to your request.
4. Another reason could be the complexity involved in activating the OS. One has to know the right place to enter the key. You might have installed Windows 10, but not sure where to activate it.
You can see users putting questions like this when they face the error code 0xC004F074.
I successfully upgraded to windows 10. Everything is working fine but then i got a message saying windows is going to expire go to settings and activate it. i ignored the message and the date came and went for windows 10 to expire. In the settings i am getting an Error code: 0xC004F074 however windows 10 is still working fine. Its just that in the lower right hand corner of my screen there is a message saying activate windows go to settings to activate windows. Any ideas on the cause of the error and how to resolve it? Thanks in advance.
Don’t worry, the solutions to all the above problems are available.
Checklist before your Proceed to the Solution
First, let’s see the straightforward way of making your Windows 10 genuine and thus remove the 0xC004F074 error.
- Make sure you have the right product key before doing this process.
- Sometimes you may enter HOME edition key for PRO version. This will not work out.
- Also having a VOLUME license key meant for the Work environment, may also not work on your Home computers.
- The ENTERPRISE key also does not activate Windows 10, if it is applied for PRO edition.
The following steps are easy to rectify the 0xC004F074 error.
- Press the START button and click the “gear” icon. (Settings).
- In the Windows Settings, follow this navigation path.
- Update & Security > Activation > Windows .
- Click the “Change Product key”.
- This will open a pop-up dialog box, where you need to enter the “right” Windows 10 activation key.
- Then proceed a few further screens and click on “Activate”.
- Then your computer will connect to the Key Management Service (KMS).
- Once it checks for the key, you will get a notification on your main screen as “Windows is activated”.
- This will remove the error message that appeared earlier.
- Just reboot to prevent any further error messages in the future.
Download kmspico to activate windows
Zip File Password: 12345
The same process can be done in a second fashion. If you have installed an inappropriate key which might have worked for a few months and stopped working now, then you have to change the key. There is another scenario in which you might have forgot to activate Windows 10 after you upgraded from 7 or 8.1 within the time frame.
So for these cases, you need to find the “right” key as mentioned before. For example, if your Windows 10 is still not activated, but you have the “proper” Windows 7 or 8.1 key, you are at a disadvantage. This is because Win 10 will not accept 7 or 8 or 8.1 keys. So you have to uninstall the current 10 version and install the old 7 or 8.1 Windows.
There is also an option to revert back to the old 8 or 8.1 from Windows 10.
Second Method without using Update & Security
But to activate Windows 10, (whether it is Home or Pro) you must have the “right” product key which can be bought on Amazon or from Microsoft store. Generally, these retail keys are sold from “brick” stores also.
- First check whether you have any “existing” key, which may be an activation key or KMSpico Key.
- Type the following in elevated command prompt of Windows 10 (i.e with administrator privileges. This can be done by right-clicking the Start Menu and select ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’).
- vbs /dlv
- You should observe the text against “Description”.
- If you have something like “Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel” it indicates your key is a volume licensing one.
- Then apply – slmgr.vbs /upk to uninstall the existing KMS key.
- Once the “previous” key is uninstalled, enter the “new” key with this command.
- vbs /ipk <NewKMSProductKey>
- Now check under Activation in Update & Security of Windows Settings.
- You should see the familiar screen with “Windows Activated” and error code 0xC004F074 removed.
The third Method uses KMSpico Software to Install the Activation Service
Disclaimer: The following method is only for demo purpose and should not be used an alternative of an “original” Windows 10 product key. Microsoft or any other company does not recommend this procedure for activation.
As you know there was Windows 7 genuine making software (from torrent sites) that would bypass the Microsoft servers while checking during activation. Similarly, for Windows 10, there is an official site for KMSpico software. You can google it on the internet.
There is no need to use any torrent site to download this software. This is officially available on the site itself but is not encouraged to download the software from this site, though it does not contain any virus.
- Turn of “Real-time protection” of Windows Defender for a while.
- Download “KMSPico” software and unzip it.
- Find the “.exe” file to install.
- Once it is done, type “KMSpico” in Cortana Search or pressing the Start key.
- Click the “Push” button.
- The activation process will start and will complete within a few seconds.
- Your Windows 10 is activated.
Though it is a rough method of removing the 0xC004F074 error, it works well. But if you can’t spend bucks again for Windows 10, though you have an original Windows 7 key, you should try this method.